Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Timeline-II

For prelude to this post, read Timeline. It is a bit long, take your time to read it.

05th January

 

House

Sreedhar comes to take Pappu's investment cheque. I make a 20k cheque for Pappu and give it to Sree. But Sree says he can’t accept the cheque because starting this year, investments will be accepted only through cheques made from one’s own account, not even cash and Pan Card Xerox is mandatory, only PAN NO. won’t do. I realize the mission threat now because of F2, F3.

 

07th January

 

Office

I googled for PAN card related info, even thought of filing RTI as to what has been happening to the case of my PAN card all this long. As I read more I found RTI stuff is little cumbersome given the little time I have so I thought it would be better to stick to direct measures.

House

I was able to uncover the application no. given while taking action on F2

 

08th January

 

UTI Office

I enquire from a lady at the counter about my PAN card. She told me that my card is hanging in abyss because DOB in my application and DOB requested do not match. Well, I smiled and explained that it was the exact reason why I applied for change of detail. Then I wrote an application and submitted birth proof.

UTI Office

She declined to give me an acknowledgement citing provision of rules. I pleaded my case because I needed an acknowledgement proof for investment. She gives me a print out of her screen which shows the status of my PAN with minimal details with a UTI stamp. Sreedhar tells me on call that it may acceptable.

 

09th January

 

Office

I give Sreedhar a copy of the print out and 2 cheques for investment in MFs. Now these were the last leaves in the last cheque book so I put request for new cheque books. They will arrive from Mumbai so it would take around 10 days to reach me. I felt I will need these cheque books (rem the mantra?)

 

So I had nailed entire mission pretty soon. HRA was there and investment would be there within a few days so I had nailed it quick and I was happy. But what’s a game that doesn’t turn against you!!

 

10th January

 

Office

Sreedhar tells me that my acknowledgment proof can't be accepted because it wasn’t the recognized format so now I dearly need PAN/PAN copy!!

House

I come to know that I can apply for a new PAN card with same PAN no. and it will be delivered within 10 days. UTI ppl come to Bajaj Allianz's offices for this.

 

11th January

 

Bajaj

Allianz

I am told it will take 30-45 days for PAN card to reach me. Now, either I should invest entire money in PPF this year or take scan of someone else’s PAN and modify it to reflect my details. Latter option is not easy because of this.

Bajaj

Allianz

My last option, I called up Krishna in Mysore and request him to manage a photo copy of the PAN from Mysore office.

Office

On further googling I get a couple of email-ids of UTI ppl, I shoot them mails explaining my case.

 

12th January

 

Office

There is a reply from Divya, telling me that I can e-mail birth proof to her.

 

13th January

 

House

I realized that I had lost my pen drive and lost all e-data so scan of my 10th mark sheet and passport are gone. Game is much more exciting now!!

 

15th January

 

House

I am able to find a scan of my passport which I promptly forward to Divya. Pan Card is cleared of objections 3 days later.

 

18th January

 

House

I realize that I had deposited the HRA cheque WITHOUT TAKING ITS PHOTOCOPY!!!! I am now anxiously waiting for cheque books.

 

So I am back to square one- no investments and no HRA relief as well. And to top that I don't have cheque books to make cheques

22nd January

 

Office

My PAN card has been dispatched but to Infosys Mysore address because of F5. So my Pan Card would be reaching Mysore address, where I don’t know anyone now. But many thanks to Divya and now I know that govt is now a little net savvy processing application through e-mail as well.

Office

To my great relief, Krishna called to say that he was able to get a PAN photocopy so I ask him to fax it. The print was extremely black so I asked him to courier it to me.

 

24th January

 

Office

Called up my landlady telling her that I will deposit next month’s rent in advance for my HRA. Then I realize I don’t have enough money in my bank account to last this new expenditure. MF money is still left to be credited so there is further expenditure. I am still waiting for my new cheque books to arrive from Mumbai.

Office

I call Karun to transfer 15k in my a/c. Month end is approaching and my salary will be credited but I don’t want to wait that long.

 

25th January

 

Office

I receive PAN photocopies by courier. I call Sreedhar and give him the photocopies. 2 days later I get investment proofs which I "securely" put in my bag

 

27th January

 

House

Sreedhar gives me investment proof, two small slips which I put in my bag immediately.

 

28th January

 

Office

I receive cheque books from courier so this time I make the cheque and keep photocopy ready so that I don’t forget at a later date. I also make some more cheques for other investments.

 

29th January

 

Office

I received money from Karun. I deposit the rent in my landlady’s a/c next day.

 

04th February

 

House

I think of keeping the documents ready to submit it next day. After an hour of searching I realised that I did what I am best at... screwing things!! Because I am not able to find there anywhere. So I decide that I will have to call Sreedhar and ask for duplicate proofs. It was only later when I went to petrol bunk that I realised the proofs were perched in my wallet.

 

05th February

 

Office

Mission successful. I submit all the investments proofs and HRA

 

Lesson learnt:

Sometimes there is scope for 59th minute escape in an 11th hour action.

 

At the time of writing this post:

My PAN CARD is still with Infosys Mysore, I am trying to get it from them.

ICICI Cheque Book arrived 2 weeks late. But now I know whom to trust in 11th Hour action.

3 comments:

SiD said...

sahi bola.. anything is possible at the 11th hour.. thodi jugat lagani padti hai bas !! ;)
PAN card Mysore jaa ke le aa kisi din.. kitni der lagti hai!!
but jo bhi tha kaaafi confusing tha.. guess only u can understand all of it.. hehehe..

Unknown said...

Hmm...Thats quite some mess you created for yourself. Income tax does tax!

However, all of this could have been avoided had you sat down with photoshop for an hour or so, and generated your PAN card scan and cheque leave photocopy.

Anyways, great experience I must say. And you seemed to have enjoyed it ;)

KT said...

@ sid: haan thoda confusion to hoga hi .... ab blogpost ke word limit kar bhi to khyaal rakhna padta hai .. waise I have mailed Infy ppl ... but am not receiving any response from them ...

@ ashes: oye try kar ke dekh ... I don't think you can edit PAN CARD scan to change the photo and signature so that when u take a print it looks authentic... because the pic is kind of embossed so when u take the print the photo comes out light ... I am not sure that can be done in photoshop... waise try and lemme know...

waise I did enjoy the adventure ... but only when I had done it ....