Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Classic Songs = Pessimism??

Well there was a time when I used to heavily listen to those old heart wrenching classics of Kishore, Rafi, Manna de. That was actually not a good time of the life I'd say. Then when slowly I decided that I have to do something about all this I quit listening to those songs.

I didn't listen much of those songs for the past 1 year but when I started living in this new house with my 2 friends. One of them, Amit is a real hardcore Kishore, Manna De and Rafi fan and has an amazing assortment of such songs and ghazals. Basically a guy who guesses the name of the movie by the playback singers and music composers!!

We all agree that a lot of meaning is packed into such songs. But that meaning most often dissuades us from pursuing what we all want to and is mostly masochistic, melancholic to listen to. Try imagining the situation when in one room I am reading Eric Segals' Doctor and in another room Kishore's song (forgotten which was the songs that was playing that day) is playing telling me that my reading books will do no good because I've come alone and go away alone from this world!!

And as if nature's conspiracy...the timing is nearly perfect in these situations.

Now Amit plays these songs all day and night long (even when he is sleeping)! Not that I have a problem with that. But to me those songs have become a symbol of pessimism. Just the right ones to play on an evening when you are drunk/stoned and think about life's past shit..!! Or just think why such songs sound perfect in a lonely lounge/bar. I am not a habitual smoker (I've quit actually just at the right time)...but his songs give me an urge to go out and sit in the balcony and smoke as long as the songs are playing.

So every evening my head really begins to spin when I come home in a good mood and the sound of all those songs greets me at the doorstep thereby activating my melancholy. So forget java or any puzzles book, the best you can do is go to sleep, if you can that is.

Just to defend the beauty of such songs, this line of arguing, it seems is my own defense mechanism to believe that Life is still beautiful!!

P.S. I don’t know how good a job of defending these classical songs I did in the last line!!

1 comment:

SiD said...

hmm...KT I agree that a slow old songs or ghazals can make u feel unattached.... pessimistic - at times.. may be..
They have excellent words..and deep meanings... which is their USP..
this kind of music is excellent to listen when after a hard day, u are about to retire..
the music and lyrics are such that it just carries you away..into the past... and away from today...

u have mentioned amit.... when i was in mysore... and in the morning, some time i used to put some ghazal while getting ready.. he would promptly change to something more peppy and upbeat..
dont know what is the scene now.. bcoz heard he is coming from office itself at 5.00AM.. so what is young, bright morning for you.. it is a tired nyt for him :)

" But that meaning most often dissuades us from pursuing what we all want to.. "
a great line you have written.....

"but his songs give me an urge to go out and sit in the balcony and smoke as long as the songs are playing"..
very true... well i dont smoke..but when i listen to such songs..an urge arises to just sit.. look outside...or may be write some morbid words (may be now u know where is the inspiration to my last 2 poems)

but from some days now, my cd player has started singing rang de basanti instead of jagjit singh!!!!!