Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Story, a Kiss and a Lullaby

He walks along the street
winds hitting his face
ruffling his hair , and
rains slowing down his pace


he knows why
he moves against flow
when he can
very well avoid the cold blow


A father he is
happy to be one
but a son he is
in this world to none


he wants to turn back
wake up his child
kiss her, lull her to sleep with a story
and sleep wild


But a faint figure
in the clouds urges the sleepless on
with a hope which
makes him move till dawn


holding his breath
he starts to sprint
and starts to cry like
a kid after his mint


The Wind is harsh on him
harsher on the figure
probably it's yet another night
when he won't make it near


exhausted he stoops down crying to the dispersed figure
"stories I've told many but heard none,
just this once, just one last story, a kiss
and lull me to one last
good sleep I'd call it a bliss"!!!


“Hope of a good night's sleep
hath brought me here
just wanted a story, a kiss and lullaby
and that, ‘Sleep tight, dear!!’

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good man..

Nice poem.. really a nice one !!!!!

SiD said...

I guess whoever reads may have different perception... what I percieved may be entirely different from what u had in mind while writing this...
I will let u know what I get, then u tell ur view point..
what I understand is this is a story of a man - who has worked his ass off for long.. now he misses spending time with his family and children..He is now tired of all this bhaga daudi... and wants peace and to be away from all the rains and winds which he has faced in his life...

Now u tell the original story! :) :)

Amrut said...

Oye... KT.. I remembered a movie reading this poem... Vaastav... There are hints of that here...
Now You got to reveal the circumstances that lead to this poem man... I can see very diverse interpretations....

SiD said...

now that Amrut mentions Vaastav and I again read the poem.. yes it sounds familiar... but again.. the man I mentioned in my version can be a 'bhai'... or a software engg..
waiting for ur side of the story..

KT said...

shit what a poor job have i done of writing this poem.. no one got the real essence of the poem... boo hoo... well not so bad considering this is my first attempt....

its nowhere related to this bhaga-daudi...

hmm let me xplain... but this will be long...

its abt a man who's got a family but never knew what parenthood is like since he had no parents!! (this is quite clear)

now he knows that kissing, telling stories and lullabies comforts his daughter but he's never had them. So this cloudy night he is running after a figure (that reminds him of his parents) thinking they will instead tell them a story and lullaby that will comfort him instead.....

he is happy to be father to one but a son he is in this world to none...

every night he yearns for his parents who've left him long ago but the wish to be with them is still as strong...

now with this "simple" theme read the poem again.. it may sound still more simple.. I thought 4th and 8th, 9th para are more than good hints!!

I don't write so complex poems at all!!

SiD said...

ok.. so the secret is out.. haha...
well. i told u - everyone may have diff perceptions..

"and lull me to one last
good sleep...."
this line will generally mean - author's last good sleep which in other words is death!!!
so it was not so easy to decipher u see...it WAS a complex poem...:)