Thursday, September 28, 2006

Poems.. Ah those Poems!!

I remember a poem by Rudard Kipling 'IF'. An excerpt:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"
...And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!



Then I wondered why are all these poems so idealistic and never ever seem to have a semblance of normal human emotions, psychology or they never seem to respect anything that is human (inclinations that is)!! They always tell you something that is so inhumanly human leaving no space for practicality and reality.

Addendum: One may argue that such people do exist then was the poem aimed at being elitist, telling us not about generic crowd but a little few and why is it that whatever they did should be a guide for everyone. I mean why can't they accept failure for a change. It' s not that these poems don't inspire me but I question each and every thing even those things which I believe in!!

Think:Well if you are asked to make a fresh start. If everything that you did till now is undone or you realise it wasn't worthy the effort, some may make a fresh start but would there be some of you who may not breathe a word about your loss??

P.S.: Those of my Infosys colleagues can find the post on InfyBlogs here. Also there are some interesting points discussed therein. I will post some them as an update in this blog itself sometime later.

2 comments:

SiD said...

i need to go through the comments in infy blogs

but i guess u r absolutely right in saying that there are hardly pple who will start all over again and not rant about their failures.... one who does that is truly great

why poems are not preactical... um.. cant really find a reason there.. may be they are written to inspire people..
u have read some of my poems.. what do u think abt them..
in my opinion.. they were not unreal..they were close to a the feelings of a real.. average person.. infact so was ur poem....

KT said...

well the "what I want to be" was close to real...that's why I appreciated it.. the first one cud be explained as someone's abstract dream

but IF is a very famous poem liked by so many people including me but still I am always amazed at how impracticalities never cease to impress me!!